The fire which broke out last week at 1576 Second Avenue, between 82nd and 83rd Streets, has claimed the life of another elderly man.
Following the fire, which took an hour-and-a-half and about 130 firefighters to put out, it was announced that an 83 year old male who resided in the six story building had died from his injuries.
Authorities have now told Patch that the fire has claimed the life of another former resident, this one an 81 year old male. The publication was informed that the fire was caused by an accident involving the power strip.
FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Michael Ajello also indicated that at least one of the apartments in the building had a large amount of contents, which may have caused delays or made it more difficult for the FDNY to get the fire under control.
Damage was also done to the retail tenant of the building, Fresh Bites & Juice Bar, and a firefighter suffered minor injuries. The fire was ultimately put out by 9:54am last Wednesday.