District 5 residents recently voted on a variety of proposals on the Participatory Budgeting ballot, all competing to secure up to $1 million in funding from the city. On Thursday, Council Member Julie Menin announced the winners – while also boasting that the district set a “participation” record with 4,458 votes – more than any other Manhattan district and the second most in the five boroughs.
“As a result of this year’s overwhelming success and participation, Council Member Menin will be allocating additional capital funding in order to fully fund the top six projects totaling $1,925,232,” the council member’s office stated.
Here were the top three winning projects:
- New Trees and Tree Guards for District 5 – 1,641 votes; This $150,000 project will install 30 new trees (with tree guards) throughout District 5.
- New Security System for PS 198 and PS 77 – 1,570 votes; This $450,000 project provides for the installation of new security cameras for the building that includes both PS 198 and PS 77.
- Lighting Upgrades for Stanley Isaacs Park – 1,457 votes; This $420,000 project will install new lighting for the park.
And here are the additional projects to be funded:
- Technology Upgrades for MS 114-1,445 votes; This $105,232 project will fund 96 M1 Macbook Airs, 4 Laptop Carts, and 3 Chromebooks (Mediatek MT8183) for East Side Middle School.
- PS 217 Bathroom Upgrades– 1.438 votes; This $300,000 project will renovate the bathroom for P.S. 217.
- New Security Cameras for Holmes Towers– 1,266 votes; This $500,000 project will install 33 New Security Cameras for Holmes Towers.
District 5 includes Yorkville, Lenox Hill, Carnegie Hill, Roosevelt Island, Midtown East, Sutton Place, and El Barrio in East Harlem.
Here were this year’s vote totals:
|Vote Rank||Project||Cost||Vote Total|
|1||New Trees and Tree Guards for District 5||$150,000||1641|
|2||New Security System for PS 198 and PS 77||$450,000||1570|
|3||Lighting Upgrades for Stanley Isaacs Park||$420,000||1457|
|4||Technology Upgrades for MS 114||$105,232||1445|
|5||PS 217 Bathroom Upgrades||$300,000||1438|
|6||New Security Cameras for Holmes Towers||$500,000||1266|
|7||Renovation of PS 527’s Indoor Rooftop Play Space||$200,000||1180|
|8||Bathroom Upgrades for Talent Unlimited High School||$250,000||1069|
|9||New Garden for PS 151’s Rooftop Play Space||$200,000||928|
|10||Gym Pad Upgrades for PS 183||$100,000||742|